Crispy fried potatoes are everyone’s favorite. This snack is perfect for any occasion. It is easy to make and once you eat, you cannot stop eating.
The crispness and fluffiness of fried potatoes are the features that make people want to it again and again. Kids and adults love this fried food. Indeed, fried potatoes are addicting.
Preparing Your Potatoes
In market or supermarket, you will find several kinds of potatoes available to buy. The next step is, which kind of potatoes do you want to buy? In order to make crispy fried potatoes, you might want to learn your potatoes first.
The first thing to know, potatoes have different mixture when cooked. The best potatoes for making crispy fried potato is probably the white and firm ones. However, you can still pick any potatoes if you know how to cook them properly.
Second, if you are making fried potatoes for yourself, be sure to prepare enough ingredients. And if you are making it for families, you can adjust the recipe and see if it works well.
Third, prepare your potatoes before making the dish. Some recipes require the potatoes to be soaked in water for minutes, even overnight. Soaking potatoes removes excess starch and helps to achieve the maximum level of crispness.
Fourth, after cooking, serve the crispy fried potatoes immediately unless you are making potato chips and store it in the jar. That is why one needs to understand and scale the expected outcome of the dish to avoid wasting food.
Ways to Make Crispy Fried Potatoes
Some methods of frying potatoes are available in four ways. And of course, each method has its advantages.
- Deep Fried Method
This method is probably the most applied one when making crispy fried potatoes. People usually make use of large pan. Some who own deep fryer pot will have it much easier because it comes with the drainer. The advantage is you need a lot of oil to cover all the potato chunks.
- Skillet Method
With skillet, you just need a little amount of oil. When cooking, do not forget to stir the potatoes occasionally to cook them evenly. Sometimes one side will get darker quickly but it should not be any trouble. For a small portion, using skillet is the best option.
- Broiling/Baking Method
Broiling or baking method is quite tricky. You need to make sure and check your potatoes size so that it won’t get burned and well cooked. It is advised to cover the tray with non-sticking spray or use the baking sheet. Herbs or spices are usually sprinkled at the top of the potatoes to give fragrance. Using this method need lot of time depends on the thickness of the potatoes. Sometimes, it is baked twice to ensure the crispness.
Crispy Fried Potatoes Recipes
Different types of potatoes produce different result for crispy fried potatoes. Russets maybe are the best for potato chips and French-fries. Red potatoes or sweet potatoes will have a tender and moist texture inside.
To make potato chips and French-fries, one can use deep fryer pot to get maximum crispness and preferably using an oven. Skillet method is best for frying red and sweet potatoes.
Sweet Potatoes Crispy Fries
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup onion, chopped into fine pieces
- ½ cup red pepper, chopped into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 medium sweet potato, skin on and cubed
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and pepper. Cooked for 8 to 10 minutes until the color turns brown. Stir frequently.
- Remove the heat and transfer onion and pepper to a bowl.
- Add potatoes into the skillet. Pour cool water over the potatoes. The potatoes should be covered and slightly floating.
- Over the high heat, if the water starts boiling, remove the heat and place the potatoes in a colander or sieve.
- Place back the skillet to the burner, add butter and one tablespoon oil. When it melts, add the potatoes and spread it evenly. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Once browned on one side, flip the other side. Cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add onions, pepper, salt, and black pepper and paprika.
- Stir gently, remove from heat, and serve.
Homemade Potato Chips
- 2 large potatoes
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 190ºC. Peel the skin and slice thinly using mandolin or knife. In a bowl, toss potatoes with coconut oil, rosemary, and salt.
- Place baking paper on a baking tray spread sliced potatoes. Bake for 10 minutes. Flip over potatoes, bake for another 10 minutes
- If any of the chips start to brown and cooked, pull them. Serve.
So, what do you think? Do you want to give a try for these crispy fried potatoes recipes? Watch out, you might unable to stop yourself from savoring the taste.