Spicy foods have become more popular recently. The unique taste that tingles your tongue and gut, yet makes you crave for it all together has made more people curious and want to give spicy foods a shot. Besides, some spicy foods do you good. Here are some health benefits of spicy foods and healthy spicy foods that do you good.
Shed some pounds
Spicy foods can improve your metabolism up to 8%. When your metabolism improved, your body will be able to burn more calories. As a result, you will shed some pounds. In addition to eating spicy foods, you also have to cut down on calorie intake and exercise regularly to shed more fat.
Make your heart healthier
Chili peppers contain capsaicin which is beneficial for your heart. Some studies such as the one published in the Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry and American Chemical Society discovered that capsaicin can lower your cholesterol levels which lead to reduce the risk of heart attack.
In addition to the burning, yet addictive sensation, now you know that spicy foods are good for your health. Check these healthy spicy foods recipes out to keep being healthy in delicious and fun ways.
Chicken Stir Fry
Skinless chicken breast is high-protein food. The protein found in the chicken breast can improve your metabolism as well as suppress your hunger pangs. It will make you feel full for a longer period of time. Combining with carrot and ginger, this healthy spicy food will shed some fat as well as improve your eye-sight and lower your blood sugar significantly. Check the recipe out.
- 2 cloves sliced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- ¼ cup sliced scallions
- 1 chili pepper, chopped
- large carrot, chopped
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup sugar snap peas
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 8 ounces shiitake or button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 cups cooked boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
- Boil the salted water. Add the carrot and cauliflower into the boiled salted water and leave them to soak for a minute. Then, add a little sugar. Cook the vegetables for 1 minute until they strain. After that, rinse them with cold water. Set them aside.
- In a bowl, whisk the soy sauce, cornstarch, vinegar, red-pepper flakes, and honey all together.
- Heat the sesame oil in a large frying pan. It must be over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and ginger. Cook for 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms into the frying pan and cook them for 2 or 3 minutes. Add the red bell pepper, chicken, cauliflower, chili pepper, the blanched carrot, and a little sugar. Pour the mixture of soy sauce that you did in the previous step over the chicken and vegetables. Mix them well. When everything is heated thoroughly, add the scallions. Cook them for 1 more minute.
Korean Spiced Kidney Beans
Lower the risk of heart attack by eating kidney beans. It also replenishes energy and stabilizes blood sugar. Let’s enjoy the benefits of kidney beans in a challenging way.
3 cloves garlic, crushed. You add more garlic
1 tablespoon of ketchup
3 tablespoons of soy sauce
1 teaspoon of grated fresh ginger
3 tablespoons of brown sugar
2 teaspoons of cornstarch
19-ounce kidney beans, washed and drained
- Mix soy sauce with garlic, 1/3 cup of water, ketchup, and ginger in a saucepan.
- Add the beans.
- Boil over medium heat and stir it occasionally.
- Dissolve cornstarch in 1/4 cup water in a bowl. Then, add it to the mixture.
- Cook it for 2 minutes. Don’t forget to stir it constantly.
- Serve it with rice
Spicy Baked Salmon
Salmon is well-known for its Omega 3. It helps your heart to stay healthy, lower the risk of depression and Alzheimer, and improve your intelligence. Take a crack at this simple spicy salmon recipe.
500 grams (about 1 lb) Salmon filet
1 clove finely chopped garlic
2 tablespoons of finely-chopped onion
3/4 teaspoons of paprika
3/4 teaspoon of dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon of cayenne
1 1/2 teaspoons of Pepper freshly ground
1/4 teaspoon of Salt
1 1/2 tablespoons of Olive oil
- Mix all seasoning ingredients
- Spread the mixture over the surface of the salmon.
- Bake the salmon by putting the skin side down. The temperature must be 350 F. Bake it for about 20 or 30 minutes which depends on the thickness of the salmon. If you grill it, bake it over high heat for 10 to 15 minutes. Do not turn the salmon over.
Those are healthy spicy food recipes that will not only make you burst into tears but also crave for it again and again. Don’t forget to pay attention to the quantity peppers that you will add to the dish since copious peppers will give you a stomachache.